So I’m an avid fan of all things pumpkin spiced and ’tis the season, my friends. ‘Tis the season.
This recipe is perfect as a healthy breakfast or a healthy dessert option. It’s super simple and ridiculously quick to put together. Another of my favorite things about is that it requires frozen very ripe (almost black) bananas that would have otherwise been thrown away!
Ingredients (for one bowl:
- 2 frozen bananas (as ripe as you can get them)
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree (either canned or homemade, doesn’t matter)
- 1/2 cup of Greek style coconut yogurt (you can use regular yogurt, just make sure it’s got some probiotics/live cultures)
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 teaspoons of ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A splash of soy milk (to get the food processor moving)
- Throw everything into your food processor and blitz till nice and creamy
- Top with anything you’d like. I’ve added salted coconut chips, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds.
I kid you not, this stuff is as good as ice cream of frozen yogurt ANYDAY! Give it a try, it’s the perfect healthy breakfast or dessert option.
Since you’re here, check out my Instagram account–purrty paleez?
So I’m sure you’ve seen ‘nice cream’ photos plastered all around Instagram and were wondering what the heck it is. Well, it’s basically a healthy alternative to ice cream using frozen fruit and a plant-based milk. You can add whatever your heart desires, top with some fresh fruit, nuts or any super seed and you’re on your way to healthy body and a satisfied sweet tooth!
It couldn’t be simpler to make, the only prerequisite is ripe frozen bananas. And I know for a fact, you’ve thrown out black bananas because you thought they’re time was over. If you’ve got black and bruised mushy bananas lying around…ever…just stick them in ziploc bag and put them in the freezer and you’re one step closer to ice cream for breakfast.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 can (or a cup and a half) of organic coconut milk (almond or soy milk work as well)
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup ( date syrup or honey work just as well)
- 1/2 cup of oats (to give it body, this is optional)
- 1 teaspoon of milled flax seeds (also optional, but a good boost of omega for your body in the morning)
- 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 papaya (also optional)
So the concept for this tropical nice cream served in a fresh papaya boat is an ode to my Puerto Rican grandmother, Heidi–who always used to prepare papaya, cinnamon and coconut milk smoothies for us.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Grab all the ingredients (except the papaya) and place in a food processor or blender and blend together till creamy.
- Scoop out the seeds of the papaya with a spoon and place the nice cream inside the papaya.
- Top with whatever you feel works that day. I added toasted coconut, goji berries, chia seeds.
I think it’s worth mentioning that the good base to ANY nice cream is frozen bananas, milk and a sweetener–the rest is alllllll you. Add whatever you want, the possibilities are endless: peanut butter, chocolate, strawberries, blueberries…
Go straight-up bananas with me and give this dead simple recipe a shot! I’d love to hear from you! Oh, and since you’re here…why don’t you follow me on Instagram by clicking this link.
I’ve featured my super easy and healthy breakfast smoothies on the blog countless times and that’s because they are an absolute classic! No fuss, two dishes and they’ll give you that jump start you need for your day!
You could play this recipe however you like. If it’s chocolatey goodness you crave in the morning add cocoa, a banana and maybe some peanut butter? If it’s something fruity (like the picture above) add whatever berries you’ve got and whatever nuts you like! Easy peasy!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 ripe frozen bananas
- 1 cup of frozen fruit (I used strawberries)
- 2 tablespoons of grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons of flaxseeds
- 1 cup and 1/2 of soy or almond milk
- About 1/4 a cup of maple syrup, agave syrup or honey (whatever you’ve got on hand)
- 1/3 cup of breakfast oats (this adds more body to the smoothie and will help fill you up. But, it’s absolutely optional)
- A strong-ass blender!
How to get it done, son:
- Ready? Grab all your ingredients and stick them in the blender. Blend the living daylights out of it until it’s nice and creamy with an ice cream-like consistency (nice cream, get it?)
- Pour it in a bowl and top with whatever you want.
I topped yesterday’s with almond, chia seeds, strawberries and kiwi.
Remember, the smoothie can and will melt or discolor if you don’t eat (slurp) it immediately. I mean, it’s ice cream so I’m not quite sure what you were expecting…
Happy eating, ya’ll and go straight-up bananas with me and follow me on Instagram by clicking this here link and on SnapChat (Ahlam.al1).
Midday sweet snack time, non?
I’m a little loca for nice cream and chia seed puddings.
#chiapudding #fruit #vegan #raw #rawvegan #straightupbananas #yum #nicecream #icecream #yummy #banana #fruitporn #dessert #feedfeedvegan #food #happy #healthy #delicious #hungry #eat (at Remraam)
Making some #nicecream for breakfast since I’ve got lots of super ripe bananas on hand.
This right here is a swirl of two kinds: a blueberry and raspberry coconut milk nice cream and a cinnamon and banana frozen yogurt. Sounds like a mouthful, but all you’ve got to do is throw the ingredients in a blender and plate the way you want.
Let’s get this day started, shall we?
#straightupbananas #food #foodporn #foodgasm #raw #vegan #fruit #fruitporn #rawvegan #veganfoodlovers #veganfood #veganfoodshare #bestoftheday #photooftheday #breakfast #breakfastinbed #eat #yum #delicious #bananas #workfromhome (at Remraam)
Breakfast in bed is a good old bowl of strawberry nice cream topped with fresh blue berries and strawberries, chia seeds, granola and coconut.
#yes #nicecream #straightupbananas #yum #delicious #breakfast #breakfastinbed #eat #vegan #raw #rawvegan #veganfoodlovers #bestoftheday #bestofvegan #happy #love #food #fresh #smoothie #dubai (at Dubai,UAE)
Dubai weekends are waking up to this wonderful breakfast, going for a jog and spending the rest of the day at the beach under the glorious Dubai winter sun. 🌞
Today’s breakfast in bed is a good one bowl of strawberry nice cream topped with whatever was in my cupboard 😊
Have a wonderful Friday everyone!
#breakfast #fresh #beautiful #fruitporn #fruit #straightupbananas #yum #healthy #delicious #hungry #eat #food #foodporn #foodgasm #dubaifood #dubaifoodie #foodblogger #banana #nicecream #icecream #yummy #vegan #raw #rawvegan #veganfoodlovers #bestoftheday #bestofvegan #breakfastinbed #mydubai #weekend (at Sufooh Beach)
Breakfast in bed. Oh, how I love thee.
Today we’ve got a bowl of strawberry nice cream (ice cream that’s good for you) topped with almost anything I could find in sight. What do you think?
#foodgasm #foodporn #healthy #food #breakfast #breakfastinbed #eat #yum #delicious #hungry #vegan #raw #smoothiebowl #smoothie #nicecream #icecream #straightupbananas #love