The more I get into this whole 90% plant-based diet, the easier I’m finding it to become creative in the kitchen!
A few nights ago I made these spicy quinoa stuffed baby eggplants with pomegranate and let me tell you, the plate was almost licked clean (read: licked clean like a dog).
The beautiful thing about this recipe is, the quinoa itself–if made in bulk–could also be a quinoa salad for another meal. So it’s sort of like preparing two meals in one and both meals need no longer than 30 minutes — sounds like a win-win to me.
- 4 small eggplants
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of white quinoa
- A handful of toasted almonds
- Pomegranate jewels
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Chili flakes
- Pomegranate molasses
- Mint leaves
- Spring onions
How to make it:
- First, slit the eggplants down the middle, drizzle with some olive oil and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the eggplants are cooked all the way through
- While the eggplants cook, prepare the quinoa by boiling it with some water and sea salt until the quinoa cracks open and reveals its ‘tail’.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, drain excess water and add spices, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of the pomegranate molasses, toasted almonds, pomegranate jewels, and herbs.
- Remove the cooked eggplants from the oven and once cool enough to handle, with two forks open up the slit and season with some sea salt.stuff with as much of the quinoa mixture as possible.
- Then, stuff the eggplants with as much of the quinoa mixture as possible.
- Drizzle on some more pomegranate molasses to taste and add some pomegranate jewels and herbs for garnish.
- Refrigerate whatever it leftover
There it is, super simple, super clean and insanely delicious — in fact, I think I’m making this tonight again!
Please give it a try and why not follow me on Instagram as well: @Straightupbananas