So I’m sure you’ve seen ‘nice cream’ photos plastered all around Instagram and were wondering what the heck it is. Well, it’s basically a healthy alternative to ice cream using frozen fruit and a plant-based milk. You can add whatever your heart desires, top with some fresh fruit, nuts or any super seed and you’re on your way to healthy body and a satisfied sweet tooth!
It couldn’t be simpler to make, the only prerequisite is ripe frozen bananas. And I know for a fact, you’ve thrown out black bananas because you thought they’re time was over. If you’ve got black and bruised mushy bananas lying around…ever…just stick them in ziploc bag and put them in the freezer and you’re one step closer to ice cream for breakfast.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 can (or a cup and a half) of organic coconut milk (almond or soy milk work as well)
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup ( date syrup or honey work just as well)
- 1/2 cup of oats (to give it body, this is optional)
- 1 teaspoon of milled flax seeds (also optional, but a good boost of omega for your body in the morning)
- 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 papaya (also optional)
So the concept for this tropical nice cream served in a fresh papaya boat is an ode to my Puerto Rican grandmother, Heidi–who always used to prepare papaya, cinnamon and coconut milk smoothies for us.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Grab all the ingredients (except the papaya) and place in a food processor or blender and blend together till creamy.
- Scoop out the seeds of the papaya with a spoon and place the nice cream inside the papaya.
- Top with whatever you feel works that day. I added toasted coconut, goji berries, chia seeds.
I think it’s worth mentioning that the good base to ANY nice cream is frozen bananas, milk and a sweetener–the rest is alllllll you. Add whatever you want, the possibilities are endless: peanut butter, chocolate, strawberries, blueberries…
Go straight-up bananas with me and give this dead simple recipe a shot! I’d love to hear from you! Oh, and since you’re here…why don’t you follow me on Instagram by clicking this link.