I know what you’re thinking, “A healthy raw vegan cheesecake? Is that going to taste as bad as it sounds?” To that I reply, nay! You will love this recipe. You need three dishes, it’s super quick, super simple and super good for you!
Cheesecake is most definitely one of my guilty pleasures. I mean a creamy baked cheesecake with an oozy gooey center–really, what’s not to love, right? The husband and I have embarked on a health quest. We’re eating healthy, trying to go vegan (or at least veggie) and are working out like there’s no tomorrow again. Sometimes Dubai could be the easiest city to lose track of yourself–what you’re eating, when you get to work out (if you’re even working out) and how healthy your lifestyle is in general.
With all that in mind, I decided to get in touch with some friends I hadn’t seen in a few months and threw my very first dinner party for 10 people. Did I mention I live in a one-bedroom apartment and so space-wise it was a very interesting situation? And let me tell you, it was absolute pleasurable mayhem! I started prepping for the night from the moment I woke up, but I loved every second of it.
I made a 5-course meal and tried to come up with a menu that was clean and healthy, but also enjoyable for those not too enthusiastic about hearing the words “healthy food” when it comes to meals.
The crowning glory of my night was this baby right here. My raw, vegan and healthy cheesecake. Minus prep time and setting time it took me no more than 20 minutes to put together–that sounds like a win-win to me, no?
Here’re the ingredients you’ll need to get started:
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 1 cup of milled almonds
- A pinch of sea salt
- A splash of melted organic coconut oil to help bind the mixture together
Healthy raw vegan cheesecake filling ingredients:
- Fresh fruit (whatever you’ve got on hand works fine, but I used blueberries and strawberries for mine.
- 200g of cashew nuts soaked in water for at least 4 hours.
- The juice of two limes along with the zest.
- 1 tablespoon of premium quality organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of organic maple syrup (you could also use date syrup, agave nectar or honey if not vegan)
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of organic melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon a can of organic full-fat coconut milk
Here’s how to make it:
- First, start by making the crust for the raw vegan cheesecake by mixing all the crust ingredients together in a food processor and blitzing till it has a crumbly texture.
- Then, place the crust mixture in a pie mould with a removable bottom and press down until consistency is firm.
- Drain the soaked cashews really well and mix all ingredients in a blender on high for a good 2-3 minutes (or until the cashews are well blended and mixture is creamy and smooth).
- Pour filling into tin and place in the freezer for about an hour.
- Remove from the freezer and top with any fruits or toppings you’d like.
- Place back in freezer and freeze for another 2 hours.
- Before serving, remove from the freezer for 20 minutes so that the cake’s consistency is chewy and not frozen.
- Enjoy! 🙂
I cannot emphasise enough how much the cake was a raving success. And the best part was, I didn’t let anyone know it was a healthy raw vegan cheesecake until after they’d told me they enjoyed the cheesecake–BAM! RIGHT IN YOUR FACES, SUCKERS!
Go Straight-up Bananas with me and give this healthy, quick and easy raw vegan cheesecake a chance, you’re going to love it! I promise!
Oh, and add me on Instagram here.