I’m still in denial that the long-awaited long Easter weekend is over. In fact, I’m in denial that I’m at work typing away on my laptop. This is all a figment of your imagination, banana head.
Over the weekend I did some serious cooking (and eating) catching up. A crazy week at work called for the ultimate chillaxing weekend with maximum food action. And boy, was that chillaxing weekend with maximum food action achieved!
Last Friday was what I like to call: Thai Feast Day. I rolled up my sleeves, bashed me some lemongrass and tried desperately to mimic all the seductive flavors I had in my mouth while at my favorite Thai restaurant, Little Bangkok (Nope. Not endorsed in any way or form. It’s amazing if you haven’t tried it.)
This is the part where the fridge-rummage dance ensues. After a long and romantic walk to the fridge, I found a few gems: kale, shredded coconut, eggs…now what to make of them…
KA-BAM! I give you the roasted coconut and kale salad, ladies and gentlemen. Delicious, quick, and oh so healthy!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- a bunch of kale
- three pieces of dried mango
- soy sauce
- coconut oil
- grated or powdered ginger
- lemon juice
The method behind my madness:
- First, preheat your oven to about 150 C.
- Then, rip up the kale and place in a bowl with coconut oil, soy sauce, and shredded coconut. Mix well. Massage the oil into the kale leaves.
- Place kale and coconut mixture on a tray and put in oven. Let those chill there for about 12 minutes, making sure you toss twice.
- In the meantime, toss the egg, tomato, mango, and coriander in a bowl.
- Once the kale leaves are all dried up and the coconut has gone a dark golden brown add the mixture to the egg, tomato, mango, and coriander.
- For the dressing, grate a tiny bit of ginger and a splash of lemon juice and dress the salad.
Voila! You’ve got a delicious, healthy, and easy Thai salad on the table! I served this salad with a coconut milk curried chicken breast and Thai coconut milk soup. I’ll post the recipes soon!
Go straight-up bananas with me and give this recipe a shot! I’d love to hear from you! Oh..and add me on Instagram too!