Is it weird that the thing that’s mostly on my mind like…all the time…is food?
While I’m laying in bed, I’m thinking about breakfast in the morning. While at the office I immediately think of what I should have for lunch, and on the road home, I’m thinking what I’m going to stuff my face with the second I get home. Please, oh please, someone tell me it’s not only me!
So I think it goes without saying that during the weekend, my brain is pouring over the brim with brunch, lunch, and snack ideas. Saturday morning I decided I’d make the hubster and I brunch on our balcony. After some serious rummaging through the fridge and freezer, it hit me! How’s about a Mexican-themed breakfast
Quick, easy, and healthy? (check)
Alright then, let’s do it to it!
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of beans (any kind is fine)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 green spring onion
- handful of cilantro (or coriander or whatever you like to call it)
- 3 Wholegrain tortillas or corn tortillas cut into triangles
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- shredded spinach (optional)
- 2 boiled eggs
- a pinch of pepper flakes
- a pinch of cumin powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- the juice of half a lime
How to get it done, son:
- First, put the tortillas to toast a bit by placing them on a warm pan with absolutely no oil. Just leave them till they get nice, toasty,and crunchy then set aside.
- With a tiny bit of olive oil in a skillet, cook garlic, bell peppers, and onion until soft (3-4 minutes) and add the spices (cumin, salt, pepper, and chili flakes).
- Pour the canned tomatoes and a quarter of the canned beans and cook together for another 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off heat and squeeze half a lime on the salsa.
- Add the shredded spinach and let it wilt with the residual heat of the pan (which is just fancy for telling you that you should never overcook spinach. The heat of the pan will cook it enough)
- Top the salsa with cilantro and you’re good to go in terms of salsa.
Note: This salsa recipe is the same recipe I use for anything that calls for salsa. You could use it as a dip with chips, salsa for a taco lunch, or as the base for a Mexican tomato soup–once you’ve got this recipe down, you could use it to mix and match any Mexican recipe! Yay! You’ve just learned a gazillion recipes!
For plating, I decided to pamper my eyes with something that I think looked rather cute and scrumptious. I placed the tortilla triangles on the rim of the plate, and filled the middle with salsa. I then topped it with the boiled eggs, spinach, and more cilantro.
You could also top it with an avocado, yogurt, or basically whatever you feeling like having.
This recipe is easy, quick, and healthy! It’s cram packed with protein and fiber it will have you going like a machine the rest of the day!
Go straight-up bananas with me, and give this recipe a go! I’d love to hear for you!
Oh, and if you’ve got an extra second, why not check out my Instagram page? @straightupbananas